Tea Cakes Cookies have been part of our family for 5 generations – maybe more.
My girls and I have recently just made them together. It made me wonder where my Great-Grandma got the recipe. I wonder if it was because of the simple ingredients that made them so popular or if it came from her Mom who lived in Czechoslovakia. Who knows? I just know…I’m glad the tea cakes were passed down.
- 1 cup sugar
- 3/4 cup lard or Crisco or shortening
- 3 eggs
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp milk
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 3 cups flour (to begin with...might need more.)
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Mix all ingredients using a mixer until is well mixed. The texture should feel the same as play-dough.
- Put on well floured board.
- Roll out with rolling pin to about 1/4"
- If your dough is too wet to roll out, add more flour.
- Cut out with cookie cutters. (Or use small rimmed glass.)
- Lay out on non-stick cookie sheet or on parchment paper.
- Bake at 375 for about 10 minutes or until lightly browned.
Blessings to you! You are loved!