Yes, really…we are getting CHICKENS!
I must be nuts!
I have 5 precious kids and I educate them at home.
That alone should tell you – she is crazy.
To make things worse, we are in the middle of remodeling our home.
We are doing it ALL ourselves.
We have taken a couple months off to work on taxes, play footsies, and finish up some school.
Then we picked up gardening.
It takes a lot of time to prepare land for veggies.
Now, as if we are bored…
(The “B” word is such a bad bad bad word in our house – don’t say it or you have to give a foot rub to Mommy.)
–We have decided to get chickens.
Real ones! That breathe and lay eggs!
Yep, I know CRAZY!
They will born on May 9th and we will get them on May 10th, so we think.
Why are we getting chickens?
- We don’t really have just one reason.
- Fresh eggs.
- Something for the kids to do outside.
Where are we going to put them?
- We are now going to make a coop. (Which I keep calling, by mistake, a co-op.)
There are some amazing coops out there in internet-land.
Ours is going to be pretty basic – but still have personality. I can’t wait till it is done.
How many are you getting and is it okay to have them in the city?
- According to our city ordinances, we can have 6 chickens. So we are going to get 6! We cannot have a rooster.
Can chickens lay eggs without a rooster?
- Yes, chickens can still lay eggs without a rooster. That info does not make me a chicken expert – so please don’t call me the “chicken lady”, I prefer CRAZY Beautiful Petite Queen!
Will our neighbors be mad?
- They probably won’t even know we have them. We are putting them in an area that is pretty secluded.
What kind are we getting?
- The kind that we can find for HOT weather. Probably Rhode Island Reds. However, we might look for others in the future.
Are you nervous?
- A deep fear I do have is that turn out to be like Gremlins. (Does mentioning Gremlins date me? For those younger than me – it was a movie.) All cute on the outside like Gizmo (I just loved Gizmo) – then turn into something crazy mad!
- However, I’m sure I have tons of friends and family who will help me out if I need them…right?
- Friends, oh Friends?…Why do I hear crickets?
Chicken Lady Beautiful Petite Queen
Blessings to you! You are loved!
(Pictures in this chicken post were of my son, taken at John Deere Grandma’s house. No chickens or sons were hurt in the photo process.)